Sunday, May 22, 2011

Liz Phair

"You've been around enough to know
That if I want to leave, you better let me go"


I don't really have much to say about Liz.  I mean, she's sexy, I love her voice, and I like most of her lyrics.  I started listening to her when I was 22 or 23, as I mentioned in a previous entry.  Her attitude seems pretty cool, but I think I bought the wrong album.  I got her self-titled CD and it was a bit "poppy", and I'm not crazy about pop.  The lyrics weren't as deep as I traditionally go for, although they were lighthearted and even funny.  That's okay, though -- I mean, we don't have to be serious all the time, right?  We don't have to tackle the deep subjects in every song or on every album, and from what I understand, this was not her typical style.  It's okay to experiment as an artist, to deviate from your norm, and to try on different styles.  It's a nice change of pace to go from the politically and emotionally charged songs that are usually occupying my CD player to something like, errrrrrr, HWC.  ;)

Today was my first day of level 2 on the 30 Day Shred.  Never mind what I said about wanting to date Jillian -- I spent the entire 20 minutes spewing obscenities at her today.  I really did a terrible job and I doubt that I got much of a workout, considering that she was about three repetitions into each move before I even figured out how to do them, then I would do a couple of repetitions, realize I needed to learn the modified version, do a couple repetitions, then she would be on to the next move.  Or, I would be halfway through an exercise, realize I was doing it wrong, and have to figure out the right way to do it and jump back in.  It was horrible.  A few times, I just stopped and stared at the television, dumbfounded.  I feel like I need to work out again tonight just to make up for that epic fail.


This coming weekend (Memorial weekend), we are going to DEMF (Detroit Electronic Music Festival) and I am SOOOOO excited.  We are going with Space Girl and her girlfriend.  Last year we went with Space Girl, and she had a bunch of her friends meet up with us while we were there and hubby felt so left out because they were all lesbians.  Wait, I think one of them was straight, I can't remember.  Anyway he thought they were all man haters, but I think the real problem was that he was being really controlling and it was irritating everyone.  We were all trying to leisurely walk around and just enjoy everything, and he was being a bit bossy and trying to decide where everyone should go and when.  Of course, HE never notices when he's being annoying -- instead, he projects it on everyone else.  So, of course, he thinks everyone ELSE was annoying.  *eye roll*

I think it's going to be a lot of fun, but I'm a little nervous.  Last year we only stayed one night, but this year we are staying all three days!  Hubby has to work on Monday, so he's going to get a ride home on Sunday and I'm staying until Tuesday morning with the girls.  I hope I won't be a third wheel, like "in the way" or anything.  I don't think it'll be a problem, they're both really cool girls and I definitely won't mind giving them their privacy if they need it.  Besides, knowing us, we'll probably even make some friends while we're there!  Anyway, what I'm nervous about is all of the stuff hubby and I have been discussing rearing its ugly head.  I want to leave all of that at home and just have a good time.  I don't want to rain on Space Girl and V's parade, and it wouldn't be fair to expose them to our drama.  I just know that people tend to get more open about their feelings and talk about things while "under the influence" and I just hope that he doesn't start anything with me that would interfere with the vibe.  Conversely, though, I hope that the temporary hold on separation negotiations doesn't give him false hope.  I know that is also a very real possibility, and is in no way my intention.  I just want us all to have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment